Thursday, June 17, 2010

Moving to a big boy bed! All Abooooard!

So...is Braden no longer a baby if he moves into a big boy bed? Does he move to toddler status? Or did my 2 1/2 year old lose his baby status once he was able to put his hand in my face and say "top talking daddy" which in my head he got my hand right back saying, "oh no you di'int"...i really just turned away and started laughing.

Yes, we just made the change from the espresso crib with bite marks, a.k.a. the bed he can't get out of and roam freely at night, to the bed he can now get out of and roam freely at night. Although the latter hasn't happened yet, we are only on night two. Fortunately, he has slept very well and made the smooth transition maintaining the hero status I labeled him with the other night when my house alarm went off and he didn't wake up.

He asked for choo choos and he got choo choos - choo choo pillow, sheets, curtains, night light, and maybe even a temporary choo choo tattoo for posterity. I think originally he asked for a princess room which is why I say I think because I needed that to just be my imagination working not my son actually asking for a princess room. Mix in some days where he wanted monkeys, dinosaurs, suckers, Dora, Diego, Curious George, yet he still came back to the choo choos.

So answer me this all ye who have had kids before me, what was the first big boy or big girl bed your kids moved to or better yet, what was your big kid bed all about...wait, we all come from the generations of moving to a hand me down bed with tan sheets and a clumpy comforter....we didn't get the fancy schmancy rooms.

And what exactly is the status of my son now? Is he a baby with benefits or a full fledged toddler?

All aboooooooooooooooooooard!!!
Scott

6 comments:

  1. First of all, he will always be your baby. My "baby" is now 15 and getting his learner's permit to drive ! I remember when we moved to the "big boy" stage. Nick didn't want a "little kid" bed, so we actually got him a twin size mattress and an antique metal frame. It had to be green -- forest green. He also had to have choo-choos around his room and his pillow/blankets. Thomas the Train was really big then! I was just so glad he didn't ask for Barney because I just could not decorate that room in purple!!

    Is he a toddler... yes, technically. Is he still your baby? Yes, most definately always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sons have Cars themed toddler beds. They didn't ask for them, I just picked them out! :) My oldest, who is 3, has been in his big boy bed for awhile now and did very well with the transition. His brother, who is 2, just got his big boy bed last weekend. Imagine my fun with two youngsters roaming free around their room!! Yikes! Several times I have opened the bedroom door to clothes pulled out of dressers, dirty clothes thrown about the room or them sleeping on the floor! Regarding your son's status... I say he's a full fledged toddler only because that's how I see my boys. They surely don't see themselves as babies since they are both Mr Independent! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Scott...the dreaded "Toddler bed"...we opted for a Denver Mattress "cot" that is essentially a box spring and mattress in one and put it on the floor. If he fell out, he didn't have too far to go. Of course we had to get the "Lightening McQueen" quilt. Yup. As far as roaming goes, we have one of those nifty door handle immobilizers. He doesn't know how to open it. Thank goodness for video cameras. It has saved our sanity being able to see what he's doing in his room without actually going in there. Good luck! I'm sure it will serve him well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly remember moving out of the crib because I was 7 years old! (I was always told it was a 6-year crib, if that was supposed to make me feel better.) We were short of space and short of cash. The move was only slightly better, to an old, narrow wooden cot with a thin foam "mattress," still in my parents' bedroom. My parents had started adding onto their house years before, but my carpenter uncle moved out-of-state long before it was finished (it still isn't finished). By the time I was about 11, we boarded in an upstairs room for my older sister and me. I remember the blue & white linoleum we bought at a farm auction and the pink ballerina wallpaper I lovingly put on the walls, only to discover the next morning that it had cracked every 5 inches where the boards were, since there was no plaster on the walls. I hardly noticed, though, because I finally had my own space!

    My own kids didn't have the fancy schmancy nurseries that kids have nowadays, and yes, they moved into used beds, but they at least had new mattresses and made the move at about Braden's age. We are expecting our first two grandchildren (no, not twins) this fall, and I would never wish my 7-year crib experience on them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My big girl bed was nothing special, but I think just being able to sleep alone was exciting in and of itself. My step-daughter, on the other hand, did not enjoy the transition to sleeping alone though she didn't get anything cool like princess sheets or Barbie pillows to ease the pain. If choo choos help get him excited and into his Big Boy Bed, that is fab. I'm interested to hear how he handles it! BTW, I think he has entered toddlerdom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments gals! We just got the setting straight to allow the comments to be posted right away. Transition has been smooth. Sleeping great but I just likes to try and get on the bed himself. So imagine him running from one end to the other trying to jump on the bed...without actually jumping! He runs right into it :-). He's successful about 1 out of 5 attempts!

    ReplyDelete